Tuesday, April 3, 2012

R & R

Merriam-Webster defines rest as "freedom from activity or labor" or "peace of mind or spirit." This past week we left Galmi and headed to Maradi in search of some rest and relaxation. We attended a SIM (serving in mission) conference while we were there and tagged on a few extra days at the end just for our family. 

While we are talking about definitions, I should mention that this experience in Niger has been continually redefining ideas and concepts for me that I only thought I understood before. I now have new mental images to go with words like "poverty" and "hunger."  With this most recent trip to Maradi, the word “pothole” has been redefined as well. It will be hard to complain about road quality in the US again. I have never ridden on a road as bumpy and damaged in my life. The crazy thing is that this road is one of only two paved roads in the entire country (although the road for half of our trip was still dirt). It is mind boggling. We hired a reliable driver to get us there safely and prayed for God’s protection while we traveled. We are so thankful to have had safe travels going and coming.
I have a few more posts that I hope to get up this week to show you our trip and give you a tour of a different part of this country. Though our family slept in one room for the week, and it was a tad more rustic that what we have here at Galmi, we had a wonderful time! I really enjoyed the break from the kitchen. Our conference meals were all planned out and then we packed a few frozen meals to carry us through the rest of our stay. We also ate out at two restaurants and ordered food from the grill by the pool at the French Club. Luxurious!!! (though probably another redefined word). We could not have asked for a better get-a-way, and we feel refreshed and ready to tackle this hot weather that is coming in the next two months!

The sandbox at the SIM guesthouse in Maradi was a favorite with the kids.
 There were lots of kids for Eli and Hailey to play with! These are some of our new friends from Australia.
 We were the only people eating in this restaurant between 7-8:30 pm  (it may be because it was quite expensive for Niger's economy). What a treat to not have to cook! The kids had a really yummy pizza, Marc had a cheeseburger & fries, and I had minute steak with green beans.
Check back later this week for more pictures and stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment