Marc had been in surgery all morning and was well overdue for lunch. Since the kids were thankfully already fed and asleep, I was able to express to Marc some of the weariness I was feeling in regards to the heat. After we talked for awhile, the kids woke up, and we decided that a trip to the pool would be the best way to refresh ourselves, both physically and mentally. We got the kids in their suits and lathered on some sunscreen. Just as we were about to head out the door, I heard a very loud noise outside. We live right next to the main road in Galmi and hear lots of loud noises, day and night, from the big trucks that travel up and down the road. But, this noise sounded different, almost like a clash of thunder. I excitedly asked Marc if he heard any thunder, but he did not hear it. I looked outside and saw the wind was blowing like crazy, and I started to hear a "clink," "clink," "clink" on the metal roof.
“Marc, do you hear that? Is it raining???
“No, it’s not raining.”
“No, Marc, I really think it is raining.”
We opened the door wide, and then we saw it..... the first precipitation since we arrived at Galmi.
Look closely.
See it?
We were all a little excited. :)
Look closely.
See it?
We were all a little excited. :)
With our kids in tears when we told them we couldn't go to the pool, we decided to let them splash around in the rain and mud. We got a great video of them jumping into this mud puddle. They probably had more fun playing in the rain than if we had gone to the pool.
After the rain was over, the clouds parted and it was glorious. I kept thinking of the Chris Tomlin song "Kindness" when I looked at this.... "Open up, the skies of mercy, and rain down the cleansing flood..."It was unreal how quickly the temperatures fell. The cool breeze was the most refreshing thing I have felt in months. I'm not sure that I have ever been nearly brought to tears by the sight of rain, until that moment.
There are probably plenty of reasons God had it rain yesterday (a few weeks ahead of what is normally considered the rainy season). However, it felt like a personal gift that God hand wrapped and delivered on my doorstep. In the midst of my frustration and despair, it was a reminder to me that God has made promises to me and he is faithful to see me through everything he calls me to go and do. He will not leave me or forsake me. He will be with me wherever I go.
There are probably plenty of reasons God had it rain yesterday (a few weeks ahead of what is normally considered the rainy season). However, it felt like a personal gift that God hand wrapped and delivered on my doorstep. In the midst of my frustration and despair, it was a reminder to me that God has made promises to me and he is faithful to see me through everything he calls me to go and do. He will not leave me or forsake me. He will be with me wherever I go.
So, today I am thankful…
Thankful for God’s unconditional love and faithfulness.
Thankful for the first rain of the season.
Thankful that the Nigerien people who don’t have air coolers and ceiling fans were able to enjoy a cool night’s rest.
Thankful to know what rain on a tin roof sounds like.
Thankful for another month here in Niger for God to teach me beautiful lessons like this.
And, thankful that after the most incredible rain, someone brought MAIL to our door! We are thankful for everyone who reads this blog and sends us encouraging emails, prays for us, or sends us a package. Thank you!!! These goodies will certainly carry us all the way home. :)
Thankful for another month here in Niger for God to teach me beautiful lessons like this.
And, thankful that after the most incredible rain, someone brought MAIL to our door! We are thankful for everyone who reads this blog and sends us encouraging emails, prays for us, or sends us a package. Thank you!!! These goodies will certainly carry us all the way home. :)
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9








No comments:
Post a Comment