Monday, July 8, 2013

Swim Little Fishies!

This was our first year to give swim lessons a try with the kids. Eli and Hailey can both swim independently with their swim vest on which has been super great now that we have Isaac. However, the swim vest is obviously not the real deal so I decided to enroll for swim lessons through our park district. We signed up for June and August (July was full before I could snag two spots!), and then we will re-evaluate and see how the kids have done. Swim lessons are offered throughout the year at the indoor pools so we might just keep going until next summer. I hope Eli will be swimming on his own by then.

The lessons are really inexpensive so I was expecting bigger sized classes. Eli seems to be making progress though and Hailey is stuck with an adult until she turns three so it doesn't matter as much for her.
Eli wasn't always focused on what was going on. I'm glad Marc sat with him most weeks because he was probably much more relaxed about his inattentiveness than I was. :)
He did get his back float down without assistance and even put a few kicks in there once or twice to get some movement going! He did great and I think he had a blast.
Hailey's class had a wide range of ages (18 mos.-3 yrs.) so it was a little slower pace than what she likes. One week I decided to let her do jumps to me off the side while we were waiting forever for our next turn (there were 12 in her class!). The instructor then scolded me since we were not sticking with the class routine. Oops! I let Marc swim with Hailey the next week to change it up for her a little. :)
Lessons were during Isaac's morning nap so we just kept him in the stroller and he took a little snooze.
Eli received a report card at the end that says he only lacks three skills until he can advance to the next class. Hailey's class just got suckers which seemed to pacify her just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment