My due date with Katelyn was set for August 18th based on ultrasound though I had actually thought it was August 22nd. So, when the 18th came and went, I didn't fret much. I had learned when Isaac was a day past due, that babies still do well even when they are a little late. :) My mom had arrived on August 14th to help us out and planned to stay for 10 days. We had hoped she would be staying with us when I went into labor so that we didn't have to call anyone over to watch the kids in the middle of the night. That worked out so well for us!
40 week photo with both of my girls
On August 21st, I was really settling into a peace that the timing of Katelyn's arrival was going to be just fine. Although I knew that some decisions about a repeat c-section or induction were lingering around the corner if she didn't come in the next few days (since I had a c-section with Hailey), I really felt peace even about those possibilities. God is good. He is SO good, and I have come to really rest in that goodness when plans aren't going exactly the way I may have imagined them. So, that morning, I decided to take advantage of my mom being here to watch the kids, and I went to the mall to walk a few laps. Then, thinking about the acupuncture pressure points that can be linked to labor induction, I decided to get a pedicure. That was a treat! The rest of the day and evening went on as normal.On August 22nd, I woke up around 1:30 in the morning. I think a contraction woke me up, but I wasn't sure and didn't feel like staying up to watch the clock so I tried to doze back to sleep. Then, around 2 am another one woke me up. By 2:30, I knew I was in labor. I woke Marc up and said, "I think this is it!" He began to get our stuff together. We kept track of the contractions for another hour, and then decided it was time to head to the hospital given the fast labor I had with Isaac. We woke my mom up shortly before 4 am and then left the house.
For months I had been praying and sorting over whether I wanted an epidural. I never had one with my other two births, but I had a spinal with Hailey for my c-section. I was scared of the unknown about how I would do with an epidural, but Isaac's delivery had been REALLY painful. So much that a year and a half later I still had vivid recall of it and it made me cringe. I had a postpartum hemorrhage immediately after his delivery so I wonder looking back if some of the intense pain was related to that (and the fact that he was almost a 9 lb. baby). Nonetheless, I was not convinced I could do an unmedicated birth again. With most things in life, I try to just take it as it comes because worry really doesn't accomplish much. On the drive to the hospital I was still unsure what I was going to do. When we checked in to the OB floor I was already dilated to 6 cm. Because the pain wasn't so bad at that point, I knew that this labor was going to be different, and I was able to let go of some of my fears. We were admitted at 4:26am. Marc brought up the exercise ball and then we waited on the midwife to come by. I was in awe at how mild the labor pain had been up to that point and was praising God for that. I felt like months and months of prayers were being answered in each moment.
Because the contractions were still spaced apart and a bit irregular, I walked the hallway for half an hour. They had wireless monitoring which allowed me to not be confined to a bed. That was a huge help! Our midwife arrived and gave me that last boost of confidence I needed that I could manage this labor on my own. She was the same midwife that delivered Isaac which made this an even more memorable experience. Marc was thankful for all the attention she was able to provide me. He is used to juggling laboring patients and clinic at the same time which makes it impossible to stay bedside and help coach moms through labor. My midwife stuck by my side for two hours. She rubbed my back and helped me work through each contraction. In the last half hour before delivery, the pain became quite intense. I remember leaning over the bed with Marc on one side and my midwife on the other, each voicing words of encouragement in my ears. I think that support made all the difference.
After pushing through just a few contractions, at 6:49am Katelyn was born...
Marc captured her first cry on camera
Katelyn Anne weighed 7 lbs. 13 oz. and was 19.5 inches long.
Katelyn in its Greek origin means "pure" and Anne in its Hebrew origin means "grace." We were unaware when we chose this name how much meaning Katelyn would bring to her name, "pure grace," within such a short amount of time. Some of you know the problems I've had with my right lung collapsing twice in the past five years (and its possible association with my labors). And you might also know the problem I had after Isaac's delivery with a severe postpartum hemorrhage. Can I tell you that when this labor and delivery was over, I looked at this precious little one that God gave to us and saw nothing but his pure grace being lavished on us. I was amazed at His faithfulness to me even when I had little faith in return for what He was able to do. We are overflowing with thankfulness. Thank you for the many who poured out prayers for us. I plan to post more pictures from delivery day soon!








No comments:
Post a Comment