Marc was working much of the weekend so the kids and I were just hanging out at home. On Sunday, Eli woke up with a runny nose and a low grade fever. He was also pulling on one of his ears and sticking his finger in that ear so I checked his ears at home with the otoscope. That eardrum was red and swollen so we started him on an antibiotic that day thinking he had just gotten an ear infection from being so sick the week before (snotty noses have always led to ear infections for Eli).
That night I became very congested myself. By one in the morning I knew I had the flu. It was full on body aches, chills, 102 fever, runny nose, the works. I felt like I was not going to live to see daylight. Dramatic? No, this was the real deal and I certainly did get my flu shot this year to prevent this very thing from happening! Then, Eli woke up with his teeth chattering and a 103 fever so I figured he also had what I had. We went and got swabbed for the flu. Mine came back positive and Eli's was negative. So we made another trip to the pharmacy to stock up on Tamiflu for the whole family. Marc, Eli, and Hailey were going to take a prophylactic dose to try to avoid getting it from me (we are still wondering if Eli had it even though his test came back negative). Marc says we now look like we run a pharmacy ourselves.
So, here we are hanging out at home. I am thankful that I was able to send Hailey to daycare to keep her away from us. She has enough close contact with me when she nurses in the morning and at night, so the less time she is around me right now the better! I am really praying she doesn't get this. Flu in babies less than six months is just not good. She didn't tolerate the Tamiflu very well last night so hopefully tonight will be better.
Eli is loving all this TV time. We watched PBS all morning yesterday and then Toy Story and Finding Nemo on the Disney channel in the afternoon. I am feeling better today and have been able to play more with him so we limited TV this morning to Sesame Street which is a favorite for sure.
"See mom, it's Elmo!"
Eli really only likes to watch Elmo on Sesame Street so the entire time leading up to "Elmo's World" he used his couch as a climbing wall and slide. Looks like he is feeling more himself. I sure hope it lasts. :)
We cleared our coffee table of its accessories as soon as Eli began pulling up a year ago so I now find myself sitting on it a lot to fold clothes and stuff. Eli likes to sit on it and read books and unfold all the clothes that I fold. :)
Well, hopefully this will be our last "sick" post for awhile. I'm sure my office is wondering if I am ever going to work a full week again!








No comments:
Post a Comment