Thursday, August 2, 2012

Seven Years Worth Celebrating

Marc and I celebrated 7 years of marriage on July 30th. We were able to spend last weekend in Chicago in honor of the occasion, and we had a great time. Marc likes to GO, GO, GO on vacations so I am still recovering from all the walking we did, but we saw lots of great sights in Chicago. I can certainly say I like Chicago much more in the summer than in the winter. :)

Saturday was our big sight-seeing day. Our first stop was to the Willis Tower (formerly known as the Sears Tower... I still can't believe they changed the name of this historic place!). Marc was really excited to see the glass ledges that they have added onto one side of the building. These glass boxes were not here the last time I visited and it was quite crazy to step out onto this glass on the 103rd floor!
 If you look really closely, you can see the little glass boxes jutting out of the side of the building near the top.
We took a water taxi from the Willis Tower to Michigan Avenue. This was lots of fun and cheaper than a taxi.
We ate dinner on Saturday at Wildfire steakhouse which was a recommendation from some of Marc's family. We both had steaks that were delicious and you can't beat a celebration dessert on the house!
We ended the evening up at Navy Pier. It was PACKED. The last time I came to Navy Pier was December 2004 and it felt like it was -20 degrees. Marc and I were the only crazy souls in sight then. I remember losing the feeling in my fingers and toes really fast and couldn't wait to get back to the car. Not this time. I was loving all the people, the food, lights, and music. It was so fun! We decided to ride the Ferris wheel to get a better view of Chicago at night.
On Sunday, we enjoyed walking Lake Shore Dr. and finding a few "must sees" along the way.
Marc had planned our entire trip and he ended the weekend up with a surprise dinner on the 95th floor of the John Hancock building (though I suspected this was where we were going since Marc has been talking for years about wanting to eat here!).

The view from our table of Lake Michigan and the city
 You could see the entire city from the the window just opposite to us (there is also a lounge on the 96th floor if you want to just have a coke and see the sights)
We had a great time! It is always special to have some time to reflect back on the previous years and all that we have seen and done together. A big thanks to the grandparents for taking such good care of our little ones while we were away. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment