Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Updates

Ok, so I haven't quite figured out how to work blogging into the new schedule, hence the slower pace these days on the blog. In Africa, I really made a point to update regularly because I knew our family really needed to see what we were up to. Before Africa, it was really easy for me to blog over my lunch break at work or when I was pumping when I was still nursing Hailey. I haven't quite figured out how to make it happen as smoothly these days. I haven't abandoned it... just slowing down a bit. I think part of the problem is I feel way less inspired to write now that our life has become very "normal" again. It is still wonderful, but seems much less interesting without the camel rides, dust storms, and weevils. :) The other part of the problem is that I am so much busier than I thought I would be trying to keep up with the house work and watch two kids! I remember joking with Marc in Africa that I wasn't going to know what to do with myself when I didn't have to bake my own bread, clean our produce in bleach water, and trim and grind our own meat. I thought I would have just TONS of time every day but somehow I don't. Maybe I will just blame it on the pregnancy fatigue. :)

A few updates:
Marc has been going strong at work for over a month now. He really loves teaching the residents and I am sure he is doing a great job. He is doing OB this week and really loves that part of the job. He is on weekend call 1:5 and on weekday call every Tuesday. He has really enjoyed cutting back the call some from what it was in Africa. Yet, he really misses working at the hospital in Galmi. There is such need. It is a hard place to forget and we have enjoyed looking through our pictures over the past few weeks and remembering the stories.... There have been very heavy rains recently in Niger and many parts of the capital city are flooded. Please pray for the many who have lost their homes and for the missionary school as they figure out what to do about their classes until things improve.

I have spent the past few months learning more about this stay-at-home mom job. I have always functioned really well with a schedule so it has been different trying to adapt to a pace that is less structured. I have also learned whole new lessons in the area of patience. Eli is certainly a "spirited" child and I am trying to learn more each day about ways to effectively parent him without being too hard on him. One thing I have learned is that he needs time every day outside to burn off some of his energy! We have ventured out most days of the week trying out all of the playgrounds nearby and learning our way around town. Target is very close to our house and we have probably visited it a little too much. :)... I have been working on a Kelly Minter bible study this summer on the book of Nehemiah. It was the perfect book of the bible to study after coming back from Africa. I never want to forget what it means to have a heart that is broken for those around me in need. I want compassion and mercy to run through my veins but I am learning more and more that they are qualities that I have to nurture.... I think I am 17 weeks along at this point but beginning to lose track of the weeks. The baby has been kicking for a few weeks now which has been fun. Eli is so eager to feel a kick but will have to keep waiting for a few more weeks. We should find out the middle of September what we are having.

Eli is really beginning to fill his big brother shoes. While he fights with his sister daily over toys, he is also very protective of her and looks out for her often which is so sweet to see.... We decided to enroll him in preschool this year. After looking at several programs, we found what we hope to be a great school for Eli. He will attend two full days a week and is VERY excited about starting school the beginning of September.... Eli's latest accomplishment is that he has let go of his favorite comfort, his beloved thumb! I am still amazed that he is done with it. Marc told me he sucked his thumb well into grade school so I just knew we were done for when Eli became a thumb sucker at 4 months of age. But alas, he hasn't put that little friend in his mouth in nearly a week. We took the kids to McDonald's last weekend for breakfast to celebrate Eli's big accomplishment. We are super proud of him and I think he knows it. :)
Hailey has become even more independent. I hear at least a hundred times a day, "I do it! I do it!" whenever I try to help her with something. First, she wanted to put her seat belt on by herself, but now she has decided that she needs to crawl into the car and into her car seat all by herself as well. Everything takes so much longer this way, but I really don't mind encouraging this little independent streak she has going on. :).... She still loves to sleep like no kid I have ever met. Marc's parents kept her for us when we went to Chicago and Marc's mom commented how funny it was to hear a toddler ask to go down for a nap or to go night-night! She knows the routine and loves it.... Potty-training has been so easy with Hailey. Eli was pretty easy to train once we got him interested (with lots of bribing), but Hailey was interested way before we even left Africa. I just didn't have the right stuff to make it happen there. Maybe it is all part of that independent thing she has going on. It didn't quite seem fair to continually reward Hailey in front of Eli with a treat so he gets a M&M each time too as long as he tells her "Good job!" It has been a win-win for everyone.

A few more pics from life lately...
Celebration breakfast at McDonald's play-place
 Followed by a trip to the Peoria zoo
 Bidding Uncle Ryan farewell before he heads off to college
And here is a little clip of Hailey performing her favorite song, "The Bumblebee song"...

No comments:

Post a Comment