Saturday, January 16, 2010

Sweet Music to My Ears

"Mama-mama-mama" is what I am enjoying for the first time this morning. Eli has been saying "Dada" for the past month, but I have been patiently waiting to hear that other precious name and it finally happened. :) Yeah!!!




Marc and I are going to enjoy a nice dinner tonight with our resident friends as we mingle with lots of medical students from all over the country who are interested in "matching" at our residency program. This will only be our second night of using a babysitter other than friends or family since Eli has been born! That is pitiful but Eli is such an easy baby that we take him almost everywhere with us. I do know that Marc and I need more time to ourselves and we hope to be more regular with having nights like tonight.

On a more somber note, it has been a sad week seeing all the devastation that has happened to Haiti with the recent earthquake. Haiti is one of the world's poorest and least developed nations and most Haitians live on less than $2 a day. Many are now without food, water, and medical care and are living outside, too afraid to return to their homes that remain standing. It is unbearable to think about the hundreds of thousands who currently do not have the basics for survival and it has left me with a heavy heart much of this week as I have watched the news. Haiti has many difficult days, weeks, and months ahead.

The Church has a call to respond and I am so encouraged by the works being done thus far by groups like World Vision, Food for the Hungry, Samaritan's Purse, and Compassion. One of the most powerful passages on our call to help those in need is in Matthew 25:31-46 when Jesus separates the people of all nations into two groups, the sheep and the goats, who have either decided to serve those in need (the sheep) or ignore those in need (the goats). Jesus makes it very clear which side his followers will be on. This passage convicts me this morning, and hopefully my eyes will be more open to see the many needs around me. I hope this passage speaks to your heart as well today! Aren't we so very blessed???

No comments:

Post a Comment