Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Traveling with the Kids ALONE

A few months ago Marc found out about a medical conference he would be attending in Minneapolis. I thought his trip away would be the perfect opportunity for me to catch up with some of my family in Arkansas, most of whom we have not seen since returning home from Africa. I knew that flying would be the best option with Eli and Hailey, but certainly not an easy task by any means. :) Whew! They did wear me out, but I have recovered enough to share our weekend moments.

The biggest job by far all weekend was getting myself, the kids in their stroller, our carry-ons, and a 50 lb. suitcase into the airport from the long-term parking area. There were supposedly shuttles running but I sure didn't see one! Marc was unavailable to help since he was already in Minnesota at that point and I didn't feel like burdening someone with the simple task of helping us get into the airport. Eli kept asking me on the way in why I was stopping so much to rest. I reminded him that he and his sister weighed A LOT and I was 19 weeks pregnant. Ha!

I decided the double stroller would be the best way to contain both kids in the busy airport terminals and it did work out fairly well. We have a compact, side-by-side, umbrella type stroller that is easy to push, even for a  pregnant lady. :) I had checked our large suitcase so we each just had a back pack to carry on the plane. Marc and I have learned lots in the past few years about traveling with kids and the biggest tip I could offer anyone is reduce your carry-on and personal items! It makes it so much easier to grab the toddler who is running down the airplane aisle away from you when you aren't getting caught on each row because of your bags. :)
After a connection in Chicago, we arrived into Little Rock and were so happy to see Papa D waiting to meet us. I sure didn't want to lay hands on that 50 lb. suitcase again. Thanks dad! :) While we were in Little Rock, we managed to spend some brief time with my cousins and then went to see my mom's dad who has recently moved into a nursing home because of his worsening Parkinson's Disease. I thought Pappaw looked really good and it was nice to get to visit with him.
One of my favorite parts of the weekend was getting to love on Bailey, our new niece. She is so cute and a really happy little baby. Eli had brought her a toy that he had picked out at Target before we left. Girls can play with footballs too, right?
All the grand babies clean and ready for bed. I'm sure my mom will be framing this one. :)
After leaving Little Rock we headed southeast to where my dad's family lives. Since my grandparents live really close to Ole Miss (on the Arkansas side of course), I enjoyed many relaxing weekends on the farm in college when I needed a break. It was fun to take Eli this time now that he is older and more aware of things like TRACTORS. :)
 I love the expression here on Eli's face. He's like, "No worries mom. We've got this all under control."
My dad thought Hailey might like to ride as well...
...umm, not so much she decided, so off they went.
It still takes Hailey some time to warm up to people she doesn't see often. Memaw worked on Hailey all weekend, and eventually by the end, they were buds much to Memaw's delight. :)
It is so much more apparent to me when Marc is not with me what a great help he is and what a great parenting team we make together (though I had some great fill-ins this weekend from family!). Although the weekend was busy with these two toddlers, I am SO glad we made the trip. It was wonderful getting to see everyone and I am already thinking about when we can manage to get away again (but definitely with daddy next time!).

No comments:

Post a Comment