Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Apple Picking Fun

I love being outside. If we lived in a place with beautiful weather year round, I could totally do without a few walls to my house and glass on my windows. I love the smell of outside, the breeze, and the sounds. This love has only intensified since I married Marc who is also so easily wooed by the beauty of creation. Now that we have kids, I try to find activities that we can do outside as a family. Nature walks, trips to the park, bike rides. Fall really lends itself to this kind of fun. This year we decided to visit an apple orchard just north of us. Marc remembered visiting this spot some as a child and Marc's dad even made trips to this same orchard as a child with his family. We were excited that Mama Reenie and Papa decided to come along with us for our day at Tanner's Orchard.
This place has quite the business going. There is a store where you can buy apple donuts, cider, mums, and other fun Fall items and they have a kid area with lots of entertainment. We decided to pick our apples before the kids spotted that area because I knew it would be hard to get them back. :)
I was hesitant to eat the apples fresh off the tree because some had a white powder on them (that I suppose was a pesticide). Marc was much braver and after a quick polish he put down an apple or two along the walk. Eli and Hailey enjoyed nibbling as well.
After we had gathered a peck of apples, we were ready for the kids to run free. They had so much fun with the barrel ride, pony ride, and car race.
We enjoyed a yummy snow cone on the way out. It was a fun-filled day and the kids were fast asleep in the car as soon as we headed home. This will definitely be a repeat event for our family next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment