Sunday, August 8, 2010

Grocery Game Update

The little man is sound asleep and I am waiting on Marc to get home from a weekend moonlighting. So, I thought I would get a little update in on my new coupon/savings game. I told you I had gotten a lot of free things lately so I took a picture of my free items each week to show you. These are the past three weeks. With the exception of the conditioner in the second picture (I had to buy my hairspray to get it free) I did not pay a penny for any of these things! Other than the food items, I am collecting these free things in a bag to give away at some point.




It really is so easy!  You just find the coupon you need and then pick the item up with your regular groceries. Even if it isn't something we would use, I know there is probably someone else out there who has a need for it!

I really feel like we have been saving a TON in groceries and toiletries and I am even buying more things each week stocking up on sale items. Most weeks I end up getting two for the price I used to pay for one. I feel like I am using our money more wisely which makes me feel really good. This week I spent $49.46 at Dillons and saved $34.38. I think that is around 40% savings which is pretty good. Here are the things I have learned so far playing the grocery game.

1. You do not have to make many sacrifices to what you like and prefer to save money

2. Buying extras when they are on sale saves you money, but it is also nice to have a supply at home for when things run out so you don't have to run out just for toilet paper.

3. Wal-Mart and Target prices are NOT cheaper than prices with playing this game at your local grocery store. I continue to check prices because I am still a skeptic. Today, I was in Wal-Mart and looked at the Ziploc bags I had just bought at Walgreens on sale along with my coupons. Even if I had used the manufacturer coupons at Wal-Mart they would still have been $0.75 more per box.

4. Generic or store brands are NOT cheaper than name brands on sale with coupons (unless the store brand is on sale). If I don't have a coupon for something I need then I usually do buy the store brand.

What do you have to lose! Give it a try. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment