After Eli's nap on Saturday we took him to the zoo. Zoo membership is great because you can go at any point even if it just for a few hours and not feel like you are wasting an admission fee. We mostly just hung out by the petting zoo. The sheep last time we went were "baa"ing like crazy and Eli has been making the same noise when he sees sheep in his animal books ever since. It is hilarious because he sounds just like they did that day. He was really excited to get to feed them again.
Since we had eaten out on Friday night with some friends we decided to eat in on Saturday after we got home from the zoo. I made my version of rice and beans (it is a recipe I learned from my nutrition teacher in college). This meal is by far the easiest thing I make and it is one of Marc's top three favorite things to eat. Eli thought it was too spicy. He wanted to eat the sausage so bad but would cry every time after he put a piece in. So, this probably isn't too kid friendly but here it is.
Rice and Beans
1 can of Bush's black beans (store brand just doesn't work as well, I have tried)
1 can of mild Rotel
Johnsonville New Orleans Spicy Andouille sausage (comes in a package of 6 but only heat as many as you need)
1 cup of rice
Jiffy corn bread mix and ingredients
Heat your black beans and Rotel together in a saucepan. Cook your rice according to directions. Make your cornbread however you like (I usually make muffins). Heat the sausage in a skillet in a shallow amount of water for 10-15 min. When your rice is cooked, spoon over some of the bean mixture and then add in some cut up sausage (usually 1 per person). Mix it together and then enjoy with some buttered cornbread. Easy and good!








This song is dedicated to Marc and Precious Eli:
ReplyDelete"Lord, I want to be just like you cause He wants to be like me. I want to be a holy example for His
innocent eyes to see. Help me be a living Bible, Lord, that my little boy can read. I want to be just like you cause he wants to be like me."
Lyrics by Phillips, Craig and Dean
You can listen on line. Don't call me right now, I am crying.
I love you to heaven and back.
Mama Reenie
XXO