Friday, October 8, 2010

Baby Countdown and Taco Soup

This has been a great week and I really feel like Fall is here. There is something refreshing about experiencing all of the seasons. I know some people miss out on this where they live but I truly love it. It always makes me reflect on God our Creator and for the seasons of life he walks through with me. The cooler air and changing leaves just seem to whisper that change is upon us. A new baby is coming to us very soon... next week as a matter of fact. I can't wait to meet and hold her. My eyes well up with tears when I think about it! I love being a mom and am SO thankful that God has given me another special life to look after.

I had my last OB appointment this morning and everything looks great (except that she is still the wrong way). I am going into the hospital next Thursday for a version/induction or c-section unless she decides to turn on her own before then. I will be 38.5 weeks at that point. Dr. H wants to attempt the version before I would go into labor which was at 39 weeks with Eli. So, October 14th will be the day! They will be doing a test on the amniotic fluid the day before in the doctor's office to make sure her lungs have reached full maturity and then we will be all set to go.

It has been funny sharing this part of my pregnancy with my patients over the past few weeks. I see a little two year old girl for her well child check-ups whose mom recently told me she had been breech until 39 weeks. Then, she decided to turn on her own the day before her mom was going to have a version done. I saw a 60 year old woman yesterday who told me about two of her babies that were breech that she delivered naturally. That is not usually the way they do it anymore, but I enjoyed listening to her tell me all about her experiences. Overall, my patients all think Hailey is going to turn... but that she is going to be ornery when she comes out. :) Ha! We will find that one out soon enough.

I have been whittling away on my "to do" list for a few weeks now and it is mostly done. We have had a difficult time getting our baby furniture here on time (we procrastinated a little this time around ordering it and then it was running 2 weeks late!) but it is finally getting to the store today and I am going to get her bedding put on and all her clothes put away when it gets delivered today or tomorrow. Then, after a little last minute cleaning, I will feel mostly ready. Next week, I don't plan on cooking at all because I don't want to mess up a clean kitchen. :) I am making our last meal tomorrow night and then putting the apron away at least for a little while. I did manage to get a meal together for some friends earlier this week who just had a baby. I wanted to do something easy so I made the perfect Fall meal... soup! Here is the recipe for one of Marc's all-time favorite soups. We eat it with crushed tortilla chips and cheese on top. Yummy!

Taco Soup (this recipe came from my mom's principal in their school cookbook)

1 lb. ground beef
1 package of taco seasoning (mild or regular, your preference)
1 package of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix
1 can of mild Rotel
1 can of green chilies
1 can of whole kernel corn + 2 cans of water
2 cans of pinto beans
1 can of Del Monte Mexican tomatoes (I can't ever seem to find these so I use Mexican stewed tomatoes and chop them a little in the food processor before adding them into the pot)

Brown beef, drain, and add taco seasoning. Mix all other ingredients into a large pot without draining any of the cans. Add in beef and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serves 6-8.

I plan on putting a post up next week of Hailey's room so stay tuned! I did have to share this picture with you of shirts I got for Eli and Hailey for when she arrives next week. Aren't these so precious!!! I just LOVE them. I found them on Etsy through a seller called Zoey's Attic. She has some other cute designs that you should check out if you are looking for big brother/sister and little brother/sister shirts.


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment