Monday, January 10, 2011

Life as a Working Mom

I started back to work last week. I am working Monday through Thursday from 8 until 5. I knew it would be challenging, and I was right. :) Marc has a very busy schedule for the next four months where he has to be in the hospital for rounds by 6 am every weekday. So, that means that for the next four months I will be getting my two babies and myself ready and then getting them into daycare without any help. (Just imagine me today getting them to daycare with 3 inches of snow on the ground!) It really helps me empathize with all the single moms I see at work on a daily basis who have little to no help with their little ones. Whew! I do think that each day last week our routine got easier so I hope this week is even better. I wanted to get a picture of Hailey before her first day of "school" but by the time we were ready to leave I was already running 15 minutes behind so the best I could do was with her in her car seat. I told Eli that she was going with him to school and he seemed pretty excited. He is so sweet to Hailey. I love seeing his little personality develop. He may be wild and crazy but he sure has a tender heart for his sister...
...and she has really taken a liking to him.
They make even my busiest of mornings a great one.
I learned a few things after my first week back to work. Being a stay at home mom of two was much easier for me than being a working mom of two. It is so hard to find the time to take care of your home when you are not in your home during the day! When I was home with both kids I managed to somewhat stay on top of laundry, cleaning, and cooking. Now that I am at work all day I have realized that I can't do everything that I used to do. I am a good multitasker, but even I have to draw the line somewhere. My parents were gracious enough to offer to get us a maid service every two weeks and I am SO thankful. When they first offered this several months ago I didn't want to take them up on it because I was still in the "superwoman" state of mind. I wanted to still be all and do all for my family even with another baby. I had to surrender that idea along with my pride of not wanting help and I feel much less stress as a result. (Thanks mom and dad!)

I have also had to tone down our meals and settle for more simple dinner ideas. Last week we had taco soup for two nights and then a cheesy chicken casserole dish. I prepared both of these meals the night before after the kids went to sleep so I just had to heat them back up when I got home from work. This week we are having poppy seed chicken and a pot roast. I really enjoy being in the kitchen so it is hard for me to not be able to prepare something exciting all the time. Marc is grateful for whatever I make so I have to remind myself that these expectations are only things that I put on myself.

Amid the morning chaos, I was somehow able to spend a little time doing my bible study every morning and it really helped me keep things in perspective last week. I have been challenged lately with all these life changes in what I find my identity and purpose in. Beth Moore's study Breaking Free (the revised version) has been a wonderful study for me to do right now and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new study.

Well, I finally (after a month!) have my computer back so I plan on getting a post up tomorrow with some weekend pictures. Have a great Monday and stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment